My feeling is that any day I am too busy to run, is a day that I am too busy.
Quotes are meant to motivate and inspire. Sometimes quotes make us think, others times they make us laugh. Put a quote on a tee-shirt and it makes a statement.
Most runners have a large stockpile of old tee-shirts with funny, motivational, inspirational, or provocative quotes on them. Think back to some of your favorite running tee-shirts or dig through some old boxes to find your favorites. Here are some of ours:
When I was in high school, my team got tee-shirts made that had a classic quote on the back. “Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must outrun the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the slowest gazelle, or it will starve. It doesn’t matter whether you’re a lion or gazelle – when the sun comes up, you’d better be running.” I had never seen the quote before and I loved wearing that shirt!
As a coach, my teams had some good ones, but my favorite one was the year the boys won the state championship. They knew they were good, and decided they didn’t need a slogan on the team shirt for motivation. They decided on the slogan, “No Slogans” for the back of their shirts. It was pretty funny to us, but I don’t think anyone else understood.
I had to call my high school coach to remember what we had on our Cross Country shirts. She reminded me that during my junior year we had shirts made that said, “Pardon our Dust!” on the back referring to the State Championship we won the year before. She remembers those shirts well because she was uncomfortable sounding so brash. We probably should have listened to her since we didn’t win that year!
As a professional athlete most of my shirts say, “Nike” or “Just do it” on them, so instead of cool shirts for me, I am into finding cool baby shirts, and onesies for my son Colt. Check these out:
If only Kara would let me dress him!
Here are Adam and Tim’s top 5 favorite running Tee-shirt quotes based on reader comments below.
Adam’s Top 5
5. It’s not supposed to tickle!
4. If you wanna catch me, you gotta be fast… if you wanna stay with me, you gotta be good… if you wanna pass me….You’ve got to be kidding
3. Running won’t kill you, you’ll pass out first!
2. If it were easy, they’d call it your Mom
1. We’re the fast girls your mama warned you about
Tim’s Top 5
5. The Surgeon General has declared that it’s OK to smoke your opponents
4. If you wanna catch me, you gotta be fast… if you wanna stay with me… you gotta be good if you wanna pass me….You’ve got to be kidding!
3. Run like you stole it
2. We’re the fast girls your mama warned you about
1. Last year, we had “UNFINISHED BUSINESS” on the back of their shirts (after 2 straight 2nd places at State). When we won State, someone pulled out a black sharpie and everybody crossed out the UN